Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Friday, February 19, 2016

Week 55 - Great Elder! Don't Get Cocky!

Title - In "Star Wars", when our heroes have escaped the Death Star and are in the battle with tie fighters, Luke shoots his first tie fighter and says something like, "hey, I got one", and then Han says, "Great Kid!  Don't get cocky!" 


Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 13:14:16 +0900
Hello My Adoring Fans!
 
This week was great!  It was the beginning of the Lunar New Year this year so we had a lot going on at the beginning of the week because of that.  Nevertheless, we were able to have a pretty great week and were able to meet a few times with 김상하 (Songha Kim) as well as some of the members and less-actives in our ward.
 
Monday was 설날 (Lunar New Year's Day).  Elder Crisp and I didn't have any appointments after p-day ended so with the streets bare of all human life, Elder Crisp and I decided to stay back and organize our area book.  Fun! 
 
On Tuesday we had a really awesome conference at our mission headquarters!  It was so great to gather together with other missionaries and receive training from President Sonksen and the Assistants.  Every time I walk out of one of the trainings put on by the mission I always feel a renewed desire to go out and convert every soul I can find.


Chinese New Year Conference
 
Wednesday was the mission-wide cleaning day and we also got to eat lunch with a member form our ward and his mom who's a devout member of another church but who the sisters and our team visit every week.  His name is 박병훈 (Bak Byung Hoon) and his mom's name is 배혜자 (Bay Hye Ja).  It was super delicious!  Apparently there is a picture of it floating around on the interwebs.  Afterwards we went back and cleaned the house which turned out to be more fun than I thought it would be.  Nothing says "fun" like blasting some Mormon Tabernacle Choir and scrubbing the floors with a wash rag!


Bak Byung Hoon emailed me (Shannon) this picture, and told me that his mom loves to have the missionaries over and especially loves to feed them (check out all that food!).  And then he went on to thank us for sending our sons to be missionaries.  Totally made my day!


Deep cleaning day!  Check out his cool t-shirt!!!
 
Yeah!
 
On Thursday we went and visited our barber who met with Elder Crisp and his last companion once a few months ago.  He's super nice and he really loves his family so we're going to try visiting him more often and teaching him the Gospel!  Nice!  At the end of our short message that we shared with him we said a prayer and it seemed that he really enjoyed it.  He's Buddhist, but he's open to hearing our message and wants his family to be together forever!  It could be good!
 
On Thursday we also met with a less-active from our ward that we visit every week.  We taught him about the Sacrament and the lesson went really well.  We read Alma 36 with him which talks about the story of Alma's conversion and being born again and compared it to partaking of the Sacrament every week.  He really appreciates our visits even though he complains every time we come and I can see him changing as we meet with him.  He's a super great guy and has an incredible testimony and understanding of the Gospel.  His main problem, I think, is that he doesn't feel like he's ready to embrace the Gospel again in his life.  He's also moving pretty soon here so I really hope that I can stay in touch with him after he leaves. 
 
On Saturday we had a lot of really great opportunities to visit with some of the members from our ward and we were also able to meet with Songha Kim and have a really great lesson with him about the Plan of Salvation.
 
On Sunday we had a really cool opportunity to meet with a member in our ward whose husband is a nonmember.  I've been trying to do Family Home Evening at the house but since I first went a few months ago, we haven't been able to work out a time when her husband is there.  It's been kind of struggily, but really awesome.  I think it's been really helpful for us to visit her and consistently try to arrange to have Family Home Evening even if it doesn't end up working out.  This Sunday was no exception.  We had planned to eat dinner with her, her husband, and her two kids, but her husband ended up finishing work later than expected and so we weren't able to.  We were still able to share a short message thought which was a really awesome experience.  We had planned to share a Family Home Evening message on talents so we gave a shorter version of that at her doorway.  She ended up explaining her reasons for asking us to share a lesson on talents and how she's worried about her weaknesses.  Even though I didn't understand most of what she said, I was able to follow the Spirit and share my experience of working with Elder Crisp.  I explained that my whole mission I had worked with Korean missionaries and so I relied on them a lot for everything.  Now that I'm with Elder Crisp, I've had to do a lot more than I was before and I have had to go way out of my comfort zone.  I testified that God loves us and that He will make up for our inefficiencies as we rely on Him and the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  It was so awesome!  After we finished our message, she gave us the food that she had prepared for us to eat and we took it back to the house and deliciously ate it.
 
So, yeah, this week we didn't get to do much in terms of proselyting, but it was still great!  Elder Crisp and I are having such a great time serving in Jangwee and we're excited for what is yet to come!  The Lord lives and this is His work and He leads it!
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale


Eating some 떡국 (Duk Gook)- It's something that people eat on Lunar New Year's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment