Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Week 38 - When I Left You I Was But a Learner, Now I Am Also Still A Learner

Title -  In Star Wars, when Obi-Wan and Darth Vader confront each other with a light saber duel, Darth Vader says, "When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the Master."

Hello My Adoring Fans!
 
This week has been pretty great!  We were able to teach a lot this week on the street and off of the street so that was rad.
 
On Tuesday we met with 김동환 (Daniel) and we had a really good lesson.  At this point I don't remember exactly what we had originally planned to teach, but what we ended up talking about was my realization that Daniel has more faith than he thinks.  I think that we were all able to feel the Spirit strongly and I think that it was a turning point for Daniel.
 
On Wednesday I had an interview with our mission president, Presidnent Sonksen and it was really awesome.  We just talked about my progress as a missionary and I explained to him that sometimes I feel that it's hard to teach by the Spirit, especially when proselyting on the street.  I came to the conclusion on my own after discussing it a little bit with him that it is not a matter of not having the Spirit, but it was a matter of my attitude.  President Sonksen told me about how during conference Elder Bednar talked about President Packer "soldiering on" in the waning years and months of his mortal life and ministry.  He told me that I just need to "soldier on".  It was exactly what I need to hear.  It was an awesome interview.  He also hinted that I may be getting transferred and becoming a senior companion.  I don't know if either of those are true though.  I guess we'll see this Saturday with transfer calls!
 
On Thursday I went on exchanges with Elder Peterson in my district.  He's from North Carolina and is 18 years old (but he seriously looks like he's thirty).  He's a really nice kid and a great missionary with many ideas that will most-surely help the missionaries in our area to work more effectively.
 
On Saturday we met with Daniel again and had a really good lesson with him.  We had originally planned to teach him the Restoration, but ultimately ended up talking about the faith that he has, but doesn't know or believe that he has.  It was a really good conversation and he ended up asking the question "if I have faith, why don't I want to go to Church?"  I answered "Because it's hard".  It was a really good conversation and I think that we're starting to see Daniel progressing faster.  We invited him to come to Church on Sunday and we told him that we could go to his house and pick him up and go to Church with him.  I think that he was legitimately flattered by our offer.  I think that we're actually going to have to try that approach one of these days.  It's just that going to Church is a huge struggle for him because he lives like an hour away so he'd have to wake up at like 8 in the morning (!) to be able to get there at 10 when it starts. 


Plan of Salvation / Some of the Commandments
 
On Sunday we were supposed to meet with 이경철 (Ee Gyungchur), but he was sick so unfortunatley he wasn't able to come to Church.  It's all good though.  We're hoping to give him a baptismal date of December 5 the next time we meet with him.  At night we had a really awesome fireside where Brother Mark A. Peterson came and spoke to us.  He's like an expert on Korean history and culture so he came and talked to us about religions that are native to Korea/embedded in the culture of every Korean person.  It was really insightful and it helped me to better understand A. how the Gospel relates to other religions B. how to better teach people of other faiths about the Gospel.  Afterwards, I met this old guy on the train who just happens to be super good at English and just happened to have several questions that can be answered by the Gospel.  So I got to teach an entire lesson in English!  재미 있다!  There are prepared people out there kids!
 
I've been out on my mission about 8 and a half months now (!) and it's hard to recognize how far I've come just within that short time without stopping for a second to look back at all that's happened since then.  8 and a half months ago I was 18 years old.  I had finished reading the Book of Mormon only one time on my own.  I had no testimony of anything except that God lives, that He answers prayers, and that I was supposed to go on a mission. 
 
I am still no where near perfection, and even though I know that I will never get there within the future that I can see, I continue to try.  It is our ultimate goal after all. 
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale 

 금릉역
At the 돈까스 buffet (I didn't get any good pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment