Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Monday, September 7, 2015

Week 32 - Your Knowledge of the Bible is Insignificant Next to the Power of the Spirit

Title - In Star Wars, in the Death Star meeting room, Admiral Motti, who is the Commander of the Death Star, is boasting about how powerful the Death Star is.  Darth Vader responds, "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."  

Hello Adoring Fans!
 
This week was pretty fan-freakin-tastic!  I had a ton of really spiritual experiences this week that have helped to strengthen my testimony of the Church as well as the divinity of this work.
 
Unfortunately, though, we still are struggling to find people to teach...
 
On Monday, we didn't have p-day because this week we had temple p-day which was awesome.  Anyways, so after we e-mailed, we just proselyted, ate dinner, and then went and did family home evening at the church.  One of the sisters in our ward is an incredible ward missionary and is a tutor (?) has been bringing all of these elementary school-aged kids to family home evening every week and it has been really awesome.  None of them are members, but they are all great kids.  Elder Kim and I taught the spiritual message about the Creation.  We asked the kids what God had created and then we drew them up on the chalk board for the 6 days in which the earth was created.  Afterwards, we committed them to think about all God had created for them and given them and pray to Him and thank Him.  Then we played some other games with them.  Elder Kim and I only started coming to Family Home Evening last week, but it has been really fun.
 
On Tuesday, we had temple p-day which was awesome as expected.  The rest of the day was pretty laid-back for a temple p-day.  We went out to this cheap restaurant near the temple that is highly-regarded among the missionaries, and the then Elder Kim and I went to 동대문 (Dongdaemun) and got some cheap companionship ties.  재미 있다!  (Fun!)
 
On Wednesday we didn't have anything going on and it was raining, so Elder Kim and I went tracting in an apartment building.  It's by no means the most effective way for finding, but it was raining so we thought "why not?".  Plus isn't it essential for all missionaries?
 
On Thursday we had a mission tour back in my old area, 신당 (Sin Dang(Sheen Dong)).  President Scott D. Whiting of the First Presidency of the Seventy came and spoke to us and it was awesome.  The main theme of the mission tour was having the faith to baptize.  It is something that our mission really struggles with.  It's mostly due to the reputation that our mission has for being a low-baptizing mission.  Gosh dang it.  So we talked all about that and how there are people out there who have been prepared to receive our message.  It was a really great meeting and I definitely received a lot of inspiration from it and a renewed desire to do the work of the Lord.  Before we broke for lunch, President Whiting asked us to think about instances in which we have seen the hand of the Lord involved in the work in Korea.  After lunch we got back together and I got up and talked about how the Korean War had left Korea ravaged and within only fifty years, Korea had become a sprawling metropolis.  I really felt the Spirit testifying to me the love that the Lord has for this people and that it was He who helped them to get to where they are.  My love for the people was strengthened significantly. 
 
On Saturday, Elder Kim and I had a pretty interesting experience.  We had some time to kill in between lunch and English class so we were out proselyting and then these two guys in suits (who have apparently met Elder Kim before) came up to us and started asking Elder Kim about some verse in the Bible.  Then they wanted to Bible Bash us, but they didn't have a Bible so they had to borrow mine.  They kept like yelling at us and talking non-stop and then when they realized they were getting a little carried away they would throw in a little smile so as to convince themselves that they were doing this whole thing out of love.  One of them, who knew that I had no idea what they were talking about, kept trying to argue with me.  He kept talking to me about something and even after I straight-out told him that I didn't know what he was talking about, he continued to try to argue with me.  I got really fed up with it all so, being overwhelmed with the Spirit I raised up the Book of Mormon to them and asked them "Do you believe that God answers prayers?"  They kept trying to talk over me and say some lame excuse or avoid the question so I repeated myself until they stopped and allowed me to talk.  I then said to them "My friend and I have prayed about this book and we know that it is true!"  If they could have only softened their hearts, they could've felt the power of my witness.  But instead, they continued to argue.  I got fed up again and tried to say "If you will not read and pray about this book, then we are wasting our time", but instead of saying "wasting", I said "blaming", so it wasn't nearly as cool as I had planned it to be.  Anyways, they had to go somewhere so they left and Elder Kim bore one final testimony of the Book of Mormon and one of the guys said "Don't tell me all of that 'I know it's true' stuff!" as he walked away.  It was silly, but a really awesome experience though, and it really strengthened my testimony not just of the Book of Mormon, but also the divinity of this work. 
 
After English class, we went with 김동환 (Daniel) and the ward missionary mentioned above, 이윤희 (English name is Julie), to dinner at another ward member's house out in the boonies.  The guy we met, 김조수 (Kim Josu) is super rich and has this really awesome garden on his property with all sorts of patios and eating areas and a fountain that he all designed and built himself.  We ate dinner with him, Daniel, and Julie, and then we talked together.  It was really awesome, both Julie and 김조수 talked about their conversion stories and how the gospel has blessed their lives.  Daniel, however, just doesn't have any faith and he still hasn't seen any reason to have faith.  It's pretty struggily.  Julie, Elder Kim, and I, concluded that in order for Daniel to gain faith, he must have a trial in his life that is too hard for him to bare on his own. 
 
So yeah, this week has been really awesome.  There are many times when it's hard not to get discouraged as we struggle to find people to teach, but when I was particularly frustrated, I read in the Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 2: 11 which I'm sure all of you are familiar with which reads:
 
For it must needs be, that there is an oppostion in all things.  If not so,...righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.  Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one.
 
As long as I stay faithful and diligent to the end, the Lord will bless me.  I know this to be true.
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale 

A really rad llama pen from Peru that one of the in-active members that we've been working with gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment