Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Week 31 - We Are Offering a More-Than-Substantial Reward

I am a week behind.  Sorry!  This is last Sunday's email.  This week has been a little crazy for us.  :)

Title - In "The Empire Strikes Back" (we think), when the Empire has hired Bounty Hunters to find Han Solo and the Millenium Falcon.

Hello Adoring Fans!
 
There weren't any attacks from 북한 this week!
 
This week was a pretty slow one.  We did a lot of proselyting this week as we struggle to find new people to meet with.  Unfortunately, for the entire month of August, most of our most promising investigators were out of town on business trips.  Anyways, the week was still good and we had some pretty cool experiences. 
 
On Tuesday, Elder Han had to go back to the army to do a training, so Elder Ee was with Elder Kim and I for the day.  In Korea, every male must serve in the military for two years at some point after they've graduated high school.  Since Elder Han's already done his service, he has to go back to the army to do like a training or something every few months.  Anyways, so we were with Elder Ee for the day and of course didn't have any appointments.  So we went out into the country looking for a missing in-active member who unfortunately we were still unable to find.  Dang.  When the Church was first introduced into Korea, it spread like wild fire and many people were baptized in the 60's and 70's, but most have since become in-active.  There are so many in-active members here.  I think that in my last area 신당 (Sindang), there were in total 1,000 members within the ward boundaries, but only 250 of them are active.  Dang.  Anyways, that's what the situation is here.
 
Outside of in-active member hunting, on Tuesday I had a pretty cool experience while I was proselyting.  I started talking to this guy who was on his way home from work and he was really exhausted and a little bit struggled.  But alas, I continued to talk to him.  Then he got a little bit snappy at me and told me I was wasting my time and to go back to America and go to school.  Then I told him about how I knew that it was the will of God for me to be in Korea right now.  Then, getting lost in my own thoughts, I let out a huge sigh.  Then he laughed.  It was pretty funny and a really cool experience.  Within an instant he changed from a struggled businessman to a friendly child of God.  Then we talked about families for a little bit and how excited I am to start my own family because that's really where true happiness is.  Then his bus showed up and he had to leave. 
 
On Friday, Elder Kim and I met with a less-active named 박찬우 (Pak Chan Oo).  We just met him at the train station near our apartment and then went and hung out at the nearby Dunkin Donuts and talked with him for a bit.  He was baptized a few years ago, but became less-active.  He's a super nice guy and doesn't have anything against missionaries or the Church, he just slowly fell away from the Church because he never acquired a firm testimony.  Anyways, we're probably going to meet with him again this week so that'll probably be good.
 
On Saturday, we met with 김동환 (Daniel).  We had a pretty good lesson with him about the Atonement and we talked a lot about how the Atonement only works if you have faith in Jesus Christ.  Then we talked about faith and his lack of it.  We committed him to read Alma 32 and pray for faith.  He also said that he can probably come to Church every once in a while.  Classic 김동환.  Anyways, yeah, it was good.  Saturday night we went street-boarding which is always really fun.  I'm usually the one who holds the board so that I can lure people over and then the other missionaries come over to them and teach them.  Nice!
 
All-in-all, this was a pretty jammin' week!  In all seriousness though, yeah it was good.  The hardest struggle for me has been remaining diligent in trying to talk to as many people as possible.  I've decided that anytime I don't want to talk to someone, I'm going to recite in my head Mosiah 3:19 which says:
 
For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit , and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child
 
I don't want to be the natural man, I want to become something more, and my Heavenly Father has provided a way for me; He's provided a way for all of us.
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale 

A Baymax cup!  At Baskin-Robbins... in Korea!  Odd!

No comments:

Post a Comment