Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Monday, August 3, 2015

Week 27 - *Grunting Sounds

Title - K, so we're really not sure what the title is about at all... so just make something good up!

I made it six months folks!  This means also that I came up with a Star Wars quote to use for every e-mail for the past like 30 or so weeks.  That's right, you should be impressed.
 
Anyways, this week was pretty slow it seemed, but it also flew by really fast.  I can't believe that I'm already done with my third transfer in Korea!  What the flip!
 
On Tuesday, I went on exchanges with Elder Dye which was pretty fun.  Since it was my six months day, we went to a meat buffet which was pretty delicious.  After the meet buffet, we met up with 김동환 (Daniel) which was really awesome.  We talked about his life story and Elder Dye and I were able to learn a lot about him and where he was in his life before he found the missionaries.  It was a really great experience.  Now that we know more about him, we can know how to better fulfill his needs as we teach him. 
 
On Wednesday, we had a district meeting that was all about teaching about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It was Elder Bell (our district leader) and Sister 홍선해 (Hong Sunhae)'s last district meeting with us which was kind of surreal.  Because of the age change in 2013, a ton of the missionaries came into the mission, but now that it's been two years since then, there are now a lot of missionaries going home.  We're losing so many missionaries and having to close so many areas.  Plus, there are a ton of new sister missionaries coming in now so that's kind of interesting.  Sister Cameron (who's in the group that came with me to Korea and also in the same ward as me), is already being made a senior companion of a sister missionary that came the transfer after us.  It's pretty crazy.  There are so many new sister missionaries. 
 
Later Wednesday night, we taught English class and a new member came.  He's 17 (15) years old and he really wants to learn English.  He seemed to have really enjoyed the English class and I think that he was able to learn a lot, but I don't think that he really appreciated the message.  We taught about the Great Apostasy.  I think that it might have scared him a little bit.  I don't know, hopefully he comes again. 
 
On Thursday I burned my ankle pretty badly. 
 
Since Elder Bell is leaving next week, him and Elder Han went on an exchange to go and visit one of their investigators one last time.  So Elder Ee, Elder Dye, Elder Kim and I all went out and got 뼈해장국 (Byeo Hae Jang Gook).  It's similar to kimchi stew, but it's got pig spine in it and it's very delicious.  Anyways, I was trying to get the spine out of the soup and move it onto a different plate and I accidently spilled some on my ankle and it went through my sock and gave me like a second-degree burn.  What the flip.  I didn't even noticed except for the fact that it kept stinging after like 20 minutes.  Then I pulled down my sock and saw that my skin was blistering.  Dang it.  Luckily for me, so many missionaries are aspiring doctors.  So after we finished eating we went over to Elder Dye's house and popped the blister, removed the burned skin, and he put burn creme on it. 
 
But it's still delicious!
 
Anyways...
 
Friday was really good.  We recieved a referral from missionaries in a different area and so we went out to 운정 (Oonjung) to go and meet with him.  While I was waiting for the train, this guy just randomly started talking to me and said that he has a lot of interest in the Church and that he received a Book of Mormon from other missionaries.  The train ride was really short, so I didn't get to talk to him for very long, but I was able to get his number so we'll probably meet him again.  Then, when we got to 운정(Oonjung), while we were filling up our T-Money cards, another guy just came up to us randomly and started asking us about our English program.  It was pretty awesome.  He is so nice.  He really wants to learn English and he really wants his 8-year-old daugter to learn English.  We told him that we can teach him English but when we teach English, we also teach about our message.  He doesn't have any religion, but he said that it would still be okay.  Nice!  Then he gave us a ride to our appointment which was really awesome.  Then we met with 이필호 (Ee Pirho), who we recieved as a referral.  We didn't meet with him for very long, we just taught him a little bit about the Book of Mormon and then Elder Kim invited him to be baptized.  He said no but he still want to meet with us which is good.  Unfortunately, he's going out of town on a business trip for like a month.  Dang. 
 
Saturday we didn't have any appointments other than with Daniel so we were just jeondoing around.  Elder Kim started talking to this guy on the street about the Church and all-of-a-sudden, the guy took us to the nearest convenience store and bought us drinks and then we gave him an introduction to the Book of Mormon.  It was pretty awesome.  Then I invited him to be baptized and he said yes!  I don't think that he really understands what be baptized means yet, but still that's a good sign that he said yes.  After we met him we met up with Daniel at the Church and we had planned on teaching him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but we ended up teaching him about the Word of Wisdom which was awesome.  He already understands why drinking alcohol and green tea and all the things in the word of wisdom are bad except he has a smoking problem.  We were able to help him more fully understand why smoking is bad and that when he smokes, he relies on it.  He relies on cigarettes to feel calm.  We also showed him Section 89 in the Doctrine and Covenants where it tells us to avoid all of these substances and how that revelation was recieved like 200 years ago about.  Only in like the last fifty years have they actually been discovering the side-effects of consuming such substances.  So that was pretty cool.  Anyways, we got him to commit to "try" and stop smoking.  I got mad at him for saying "try", but that's all he was willing to commit to.
 
Then on Saturday night, we ate chicken and then transfer calls came.  Every one in my house is staying which means that I am still living with 3 Korean missionaries.  Elder Dye, who came to 금촌 (Geumchon) with me last transfer is already leaving and going to 속초(Sokcho), so that's pretty crazy.  Also, our area's going from eight missionaries to six.
 
Well, once again, it turns out there was more to write about than I thought!  Anyways, being a missionary is so awesome and I am so grateful for the privilege and the opportunity to be serving among the people Korea at this time.  I can't believe how fast it's all happening though!
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale

No comments:

Post a Comment