Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Monday, December 28, 2015

Week 48 - Chad...Now That's a Name I've Not Heard In A Long Time (Part 2)

Note - notice the "Part 2" in the title?  There might even be a Part 3 and Part 4 to this one in the future.  :)  This will be for any time we get to "talk" with Elder Huckvale.  And let me just say... skyping with Elder Huckvale was the BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT I could ever get!!!!  It was AWESOME and he was so HAPPY and AMAZING!!!!  What an honor to be his parents!  He is loving what he's doing, and that is just shining through!!!

Ok... now back to normal - Title - In "Star Wars", Luke goes out looking for R2D2 who has run away.  He gets attacked by Tuskan Raiders and then gets rescued by Obi-Wan Kenobi.  R2D2 is looking for Obi-Wan Kenobi, who is now going by "Ben".  When he hears that R2D2 is looking for "Obi-Wan Kenobi", he says, "now that's a name I've not heard in a long time".  
  
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:10:55 +0900
I can't believe how much time has passed since I wrote the last e-mail with the same title.  So weird.  The whole time thing gets you when you're not looking.
 
Anyways,
 
Merry Christmas! 
 
I hope everyone had a great Christmas and really enjoyed spending time with their families in one way or another in celebration of the birth of the Savior!
 
Now I will talk about me...
 
On Monday after p-day was over we went out into one of our neighboring areas and sang carols as a zone on a street corner.  It was so fun!  It was kind of frustrating though because it didn't really get the attention from the passers-by that we were hoping for.  Some people stayed and watched until the crosswalk light changed to green and they became able to cross the street.  It was really fun though and the other missionaries and I all really felt the Spirit and had a good time. 
 
On Tuesday we the majority of the afternoon visiting members and heart-attacking the doors of people that we had planned on visiting, but weren't able to get the chance.  It was really fun!  I've kind of figured out especially during these last few transfers that the most effective way to do missionary work is usually to do what a sister missionary would do. 


 
On Tuesday night we went to a different neighboring area and sang Christmas carols which was again really fun, but didn't get the attention of as many people that we would have liked.  There were however, two people foreigners from America that just happened to be in the area that came up and started talking to some of the other missionaries about how much they enjoyed that we were singing carols.  I don't know what the deal is.  Once again though, I had a really great time and I could really feel the Spirit as we sang songs and rejoiced over the coming of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into the world. 
 

On Wednesday we had a district meeting and afterwards we went out and gave out Book of Mormons that we had wrapped.  It was so much fun!  People loved wrapped things!  At night we had our English Christmas party which was a blast.  For the white-elephant gift exchange, Elder Kim and I brought a Boba Fett figure that Elder Kim won out of a machine.  Represent!  Luckily, our investigator, 이동민 (Ee Dongmeen) who was also there, was able to end up with it.   At the end of the party, we put on a spiritual message and did the "Seminary Donuts" object lesson which went really well.  Elder Weiss volunteered to do it and it was really great.  There's probably no better way of demonstrating the Atonement that I've seen than through this lesson.  It's a really moving experience.
 
Thursday was Christmas Eve so all of the elders in our zone decided to go out to eat lunch together which was a blast.  The place we ended up eating at wasn't the best, but it was just fun to be toghether with so many other missionaries celebrating a cherished holiday.  At night we had dinner at a member's house.  It was a really great way to spend Christmas Eve.  After we ate, we shared our message about the Savior being born and had everyone share a good thing that has happened because Jesus came.  It was really awesome.  After we finished our message, the father of the family asked us to sing a carol so we did and then we sang a carol together.  It was so cool!  It's definitely a tradition I want to start with my family someday. 
 
And Friday was Christmas.  It was awesome.  I started out the morning by waking up and opening the presents that my family sent me which are all awesome.  The coolest thing I got was a pair of light-up lightsaber chopsticks.  They have to be one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life.  I'm afraid to actually eat thing with them though.  I also got a Star Wars crew-neck from my trainer, Elder Jeong which is pretty sweet.  He's so funny.  Christmas afternoon was spent preparing for the Christmas music concert that the mission was putting on in our church building.  The concert was awesome.  A lot of the sisters that came to Korea with me were in it.  Sister Bell and Sister Jones were both there and they did awesome!  The whole concert was so awesome and it did an incredible job of bringing the Spirit and it was a great way to end Christmas day. 

 Keeping it fresh Christmas morning.

 정진섭 장로님의 스타 워즈 스웨터  (Sweatshirt that Elder Jeong gave him for Christmas)

Elder Kim playing with the light up chopsticks.
 
On Saturday I got to talk with my family through the wonders of modern-day technology!  Wow!  Elder Kim and I went to 박병훈 (Bak Byung Hoon)'s house from our ward and he ordered us Chinese food right when we got there but it arrived right at 1:30 when I had planned to start talking with my family.  I couldn't wait because I ordered noodles and they would stick together if I didn't eat them quick enough!  It only took about 7 minutes to eat it all, but it was still pretty funny.  I can just imagine my family all gathered around the TV screen waiting and then the message "I have to eat the food that we ordered" come up.  Good times.  Anyways yeah it was really awesome and I think it had a little more impact than just talking over the phone.  I am so grateful to have had that opportunity.



 The wonders of modern-day technology (the picture from the other side is way better).


 
On Sunday we met with our progressing investigator, 이동민 (Ee Dongmeen) and had a really great lesson!  We talked about our personal commitment to follow Jesus Christ and about coming to know the truth of the Book of Mormon through prayer.  We then talked about fasting and invited him to fast with us in order to receive an answer to his prayers and he agreed!  He's doing so great!
 
This Christmas was so awesome and was probably one of the most special Christmases I've ever had!  I was going to say most memborable, but I remember all Christmases (Just ask my parents).
 
I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and I am so grateful, especially at this time of year, that He was born.
 
Happy New Year!
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale

Playing some Phase 10 - one of the things he asked for for Christmas.  :)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment