Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Friday, August 26, 2016

Week 82 - There Is...Another...정

Title - In "The Empire Strikes Back", Luke has left Dagobah to rescue Han and Leia, against Yoda and Obi-Wan's wishes.  As he's taking off, Obi-Wan says, "that boy is our last hope." To which Yoda replies, "no, there is another". 

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:25:03 +0900

Hello My Adoring Fans!
 
This week has been super crazy!  We ate dog!  Elder Brantley (and a bunch of other people that I've served with) went home on Wednesday!  I got my greenie!
 
On Monday we all got together as a district and ate dinner with the Bishop since it was Elder Brantley's last Monday as a missionary.  It was really fun to sit down with the Bishop and his family and eat with them and afterwards Elder Brantley played the guitar as we sang hymns.  I don't think there's an easier way to invite the Spirit than through music.



 
On Tuesday, since there were a lot of missionaries going home this transfer from our stake, our stake high councilor, who's also our ward mission leader, 김영기, invited all of the returning missionaries in our stake to eat 보신탕 (Boshintong (Dog Soup)).  Sister Bell and Sister Coates weren't down for it though, so besides Elder Brantley, only our zone leader Elder Houston came. 


 
On Wednesday we had our transfer meeting which was crazy as usual.  We sent Elder Tapan off in a taxi to his new area and then Elder Brantley, Elder Summers, and I took the subway and met up with some other elders who were on the way to the bus station.  Elder Summers went with them and Elder Brantley and I went to the office so I could drop Elder Brantley off and pick up my new greenie.  Let's just say that there might have been a time where there was a mis-communication and Elder Brantley and Elder Summers got off of the subway a stop early after giving me the other phone, leaving me alone with two phones.  Anyways, a phone call from an unrecognized phone later we were able to get everything sorted out and were able to reach our destinations.
 
At the office President Sonksen had all of the trainers group together and he gave us a little bit of a training and then we met our new greenies!  I will be training Elder 정영훈 (Yung hoon Jung)!  He's a native Korean from Daejeon.  His dad is an English academy teacher though, and Elder Jung's studying English literature in college, so he's pretty good at English.  After the trainer's training meeting, Elder Jung and I headed back to 상계 (Sanggye) and after we dropped off his bags at our house, we went straight to the church for a lesson with our new investigator who we teach English to named 이승주 (Lewis) and it went pretty well.  Elder Jung did awesome!  After the lesson we headed out and went streetboarding with the sisters, ate dinner, and then did English class.  The jet lag has been really hard on Elder Jung though, so he ended up sleeping through English class.  Everytime he'd try to stay awake to help me teach, the sister in our class just kept telling him to rest.  It was pretty funny.









Elder Jung suffering from jet lag.  (I'm assuming he went to the MTC in Provo and just got back to Korea.  2 weeks in Utah, and then back... quite the time changes to deal with!)

 
The funniest thing is that MY trainer, Elder 정진섭 (Jin Seob Jeong) who you could call my father, has the same family name as Elder 정영훈 (Yung hoon Jung), who you could call my son.  I just thought that was pretty funny.
 
On Saturday we met with Lewis again after English class with a member from our ward and had a really great lesson with him about prayer and the importance of reading the Book of Mormon.  It went really well and we were able to give him a baptismal date for October 1st!  It was an awesome lesson!
 
Tonight we're going to meet with a brother named 김상수 (Song soo Kim) who Elder Brantley was teaching who has a baptismal date for next Saturday and is progressing really well.  We're meeting him with the Bishop so it's bound to be a great lesson!
 
Serving a mission in Korea is incredibly difficult.  I don't want to discount the difficulty of serving a mission in other places, but it is incredibly difficult serving in Korea.  There have been a lot of times where I've lost faith in people because there have been so many people who hadn't pulled through on commitments, especially the commitment to meet with us.  We'll meet people on the street and they'll tell us they're going to meet with us at a specific date and time without any intention of meeting us at all.  They tell us that because they don't want to see us get upset by saying no.  After all this it's led me to doubt myself a lot and really struggle to keep going and remain positive about talking with people and inviting them to hear about the Restored Gospel.
 
While I was pondering on this thought, this thought came to my mind:  "Whose ability am I doubting; mine or the Lord's?"
 
The Lord can do all things.  If He can part the Red Sea and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt, if He can heal the sick, give sight to the blind, and raise the dead to life, then surely He can change someone's heart.  That's what He's doing with me after all.
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale


My set-up. (I love seeing all his pictures and stuff displayed.)  :)


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment