Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Week 61 - Run 이상호! Run!

Title - In "Star Wars", when the heroes are about to flee the Death Star, they witness Obi-Wan Kenobi being killed by Darth Vader.  Luke, in his rage, begins to shoot towards Darth Vader and Obi-Wan's voice comes into his mind, saying "Run, Luke, Run!"

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:26:10 +0900

Hello my adoring fans!
 
Well, this week has been really interesting.  Let's just say that there were a lot of weird experiences for Elder Shepherd and I.
 
Let's take a look back now, shall we?
 
I forgot to talk about this last week, but last Sunday a crazy guy randomly showed up at church in the middle of Sacrament meeting.  He sat down next to me, talked to me a little bit, we exchanged numbers and then he left.  
 
Then we got a call on Tuesday morning from the same guy telling us that he wanted to meet up at the Ministop convenience store near the church building for lunch.  So we went and he bought us a ton of junk food and took us back to his house and we ate and talked a little bit.  He asked us for a Book of Mormon and so we gave it to him and we taught about it and committed him to read and pray about it.  
 
He called that night at like 4 in the morning, but we didn't answer.  For the next few days he kept texting us and saying really crazy things and then he got mad and then he apologized.  Overall it was just a really weird experience.  I'm pretty sure that he's got some sort of mental disability.  He came to church again and stayed for about 15 minutes and then left.  It was just weird.
 
That was weird experience number 1 for the week.
 
Wednesday was really good.  We started out by having district meeting which went really well.  I felt inspired to do a district meeting on the importance of having personal revelation in missionary work.  As I was studying for the meeting, I realized that there is a three-step pattern for relying on the Spirit.  The first step is to qualify for the Spirit.  A week prior to the meeting, I asked Elder Shepherd to prepare the training for this segment.  He did a really great job.  He was a bit nervous, but there was a point where he just decided to just go for it and it went really well.  He talked about the importance of obedience as well as partaking of the Sacrament weekly as we qualify for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  The second step is to recognize the promptings of the Spirit.  For this section, we talked about how to recognize the promptings of the Spirit and it came down to knowing the difference between right and wrong as it's described in Moroni 7.  The third step to going beyond following the promptings or acting on the promptings, but relying on the promptings of the Spirit to do the Lord's work.  I committed everyone in the district (plus the zone leaders who were also there) to pray before starting every activity.  This is something that I've been trying to do and it really has helped me to feel the Spirit more in my life and recognize that I am a literal instrument in the hands of the Lord in doing His work.  After I finished the training the zone leaders talked about the Atonement which was also really good.  I left them with a lot more time than they were expecting, but they used it very well.  
 
After the district meeting I started my exchange with one of the zone leaders, Elder 홍근영 (Hong).  The exchange went really well.  We talked a ton about leadership and also working with the members of the ward.  He gave me some really great ideas that I'm hoping to implement as I carry out the work of the Lord.
 
On Friday we went streetboarding and we went to this really random place that we had never tried before, but it went really well!  We were able to meet some really cool people and have some awesome opportunities to share the Gospel.  Elder Shepherd gave out a Book of Mormon and a pass-along card to somebody, but didn't get his number, but he texted later that night and we're going to try and meet him!  Awesome!
 
On Saturday we had a really special opportunity to go with the youth in the ward and our recent convert, 김상하 (Songha Kim) to do baptisms for the dead at the temple!  We got permission to go from President Sonksen as long as we didn't participate in the ordinances (so that the members could).  Nevertheless, it was really awesome and it was so cool to be there with Songha Kim for his first time!  He is progressing so well in the Gospel!  It has been so awesome to see the change that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has wrought upon his soul!  
 
Sunday was a pretty crazy day.  It was Easter, but it was also ward conference, and our bishopric got re-organized (which I didn't know was going to happen).  Our bishop for about 5 years (who's in his thirties) got released and the first counselor became the bishop.  He's been in the bishopric for like 12 years now so I'm sure that he'll do a great job.  박병훈 (Brother Park), (we visit his mom sometimes and I also Skyped from his house on Christmas), became the new first counselor.  Our old bishop, 방재원 (Jaywon Bong) is probably going to be put in the stake presidency when it inevitably gets re-organized in the near future.  I sad to see Bishop Bong to get released, but I'm also really excited to start working with our new bishop, 배성훈 (Sunghoon Bay) and the new bishopric.  I think that this is a really great opportunity to strengthen our presence in the ward and to get the members excited for missionary work.  
 
On Sunday night, we were able to go to the Easter music night that our mission's putting on in a different area.  We decided it would be good to take one of the recent converts in our ward, 이상호 (Songho Ee) with us to give him a good opportunity to feel the Spirit.  He has a mental disability, so it can be hard for him to recognize the Spirit.  Everything seemed to be going alright, Elder Shepherd had to tell him to get off of his phone a few times, but halfway through the performance, he just got up and a left.  We followed him out of the building, but I think that he realized that we were following him and then he just started booking for the main street.  I seriously could have never imagined him being able to run as fast as he did.  We let him run a little bit before we decided to run after him.  By the time we had caught up to him he was at the main street and I said "You all-of-a-sudden left!" and he said "Yeah" as he hailed a taxi, hopped in, and sped off.  I called him, but he didn't answer.  Elder Shepherd and I walked back to the church building in complete confusion and frustration.
 
After we got back, I have to admit that was a little bit frustrated because I just didn't understand why he did what he did.  I also couldn't figure out why so many weird experiences had been happening to Elder Shepherd and I this past week and why we're still struggling to find new investigators.  As I was thinking on this, the music night continued and they played the Mormon Message "None Were With Him" by Jeffery R. Holland.  It helped me to remember that the Savior knows exactly what I'm going through because he's already faced it.  He's faced everything imaginable; every terrible thing.  Because he faced it all alone, I don't have to face anything alone.
 
So even though this week was strange, it was good, and somehow the Lord found a way to turn it into a learning experience for me.  He always does.
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Love,
 
Elder Huckvale

Pics - Elder Huckvale didn't send any this week... but lucky for us, other people did.  It was a good week.  They must've known it was my birthday, so there ya go.  :) 

 



Both above pictures - member in Korea posted on FB.  
Something about a missionary workshop involving ward members and competition.


Picture that Sister Sonksen (Mission President's wife) posted on FB saying, 
"Elder Shepherd and Elder Huckvale.  Such good and worthy missionaries." :)


Picture that a Return Missionary, ShinJin Lee, sent to me on FB.  He said that he had finished his mission and went back to visit and ran into Elder Huckvale.  
He said... "I just wanted to send you a photo of wonderful Elder Huckvale.  I went to one of the music nights and saw Elder Huckvale.  He looks really good and happy, and so kind as well!  I really loved him during my mission.  He is so great and leading the area so well!  His trainer (Elder Jeong) is my friend and he said so many positive things about him!!!"  Talk about warm fuzzies to my momma heart!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment