Seoul Temple

Seoul Temple
The Market

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Week 23 - Episode IV: A New President

We've been out of town, so I'm a week behind. :)  Therefore, expect two letters tonight.  :)

Title - Kind of an obvious one for all you Star Wars fans out there.  Elder Huckvale got a new Mission President on July 1st, so this is a spin on "Episode IV: A New Hope".

Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 12:08:32 +0900

Hello everyone!  This week has been awesome!  I am loving 금촌 and am loving being a missionary.  This week was pretty busy so it felt really long/went by ultra fast.  Our new mission president President Sonksen came in this week with his wife Sister Sonksen!  Plus it was 4th of July yesterday!  Wow!  Apparently it's not a big deal in Korea.  Classic Korea, not celebrating when America achieved its independence from Great Brittain.  Who do they think they are.  Nonetheless, the other elders in my house and I ate some watermelon in tribute to America's independence. 

 Elder Huckvale and his new companion, Elder Kim.  Doesn't he look happy?????
Stormtrooper making the rounds.  :)
 
Let's take a look back at Monday!  Nothing too special happened except I think that I saw a dog deal going down.  There was this old guy with a puppy in a box and I was like "Aw that's so cute!" and then he let me pet it for a little bit.  Then another guy in a truck drove up and paid the other guy for the dog and asked "Is it going to get big" and the other guy assured him that it would.  He placed the dog in the box in the back of his truck and then left.  It's sad but I guess that's just the way things role around here.  I'm not going to lie, if I had the chance to eat dog I'd do it.  Ain't no way I'm getting a chance to do that back in the states. 
 
On Tuesday we took a bus out to the middle of nowhere and met with this old guy at this old folks home where old people can just hang out during the day.  It was pretty fun.  We had planned to just do some How to Begin Teaching with him but he kept asking us what our message was and Elder Kim kept telling him about stuff that we were going to tell him later.  So I decided to just give him a brief introduction to the Book of Mormon and I talked about how if he reads it and prays about it, having a sincere desire to know that it's true.  He will know.  It was pretty cool.  I'm able to understand a lot more now than I have been before so I'm able to take part more in the lessons.  It's awesome.
 
On Thursday, we had a zone conference where President and Sister Sonksen introduced themselved to us for the first time.  It was pretty fun.  They are both really incredible people and I could feel their sincere desire to help us a missionaries as we do the Lord's work together in Seoul, Korea.  As usual, when I left the conference, I had a renewed desire to continue doing the Lord's work among His children and sharing the message of the restored gospel.
 
On Saturday we met with guy that Elder Kim and his previous companion met one time while jeondoing named 변주웅 (Byun Joo-Oong).  He is awesome!  He took Elder Kim and I to this really awesome restaurant called 본가 (Bon(e) Ga) and it was freakin delicious!  Anyways, he had time afterwards so we took him over to the church building (which is nearby) and toured him of it.  It was an awesome experience.  We showed him the baptismal font, he said that he felt the spirit.  Wow!  How awesome is that?!  He is so cool and is really good at English from watching American movies and TV shows.  He kept calling me "sir".  It was pretty funny.  Anyways, as we were heading out from the church building, I gave him a Book of Mormon and we gave him a brief introduction to it.  He is really interested in learning about our Church.  It's awesome.  We met him again on Sunday right after Church and we just taught him more about the Book of Mormon.  It was really cool.  We had him read Moroni's Promise (Moroni 10:3-5) and I told him that I know that everyone can know that this Book is true and I asked him that when he feels it is true if he would get baptized and he said yes.  It was awesome.  He is such a nice person and I personally believe that he is one of the prepared ones; one of those prepared to recieve our message about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  They're out there, there are just fewer of them in Korea as it turns out. 
 
재미 있습니다!
(It's fun!)
 
Love and Miss Y'all!
 
Called to Serve!
 
Elder Huckvale


 Embracing the culture.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment